Bidder Qualification Requirements
- The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) acts in the capacity of a General Contractor and usually hires specialty licensed contractors, depending on the type of project.
- FOR ALL LAUSD PROJECTS:
- The Contractor MUST have a valid State of California Contractors License, current at the time of bid submission (if applicable);
- The Contractor MUST submit to the District General Liability Insurance coverage of $1,000,000 single occurrence, or $2,000,000 aggregate (with an A-VII or higher rating, according to the A.M. Best Company standards). Commercial Automotive Insurance coverage of $1,000,000 combined single limit acceptable to the District, and Worker’s Compensation Insurance. All MUST be submitted on the District-provided Acord Certification of Liability Insurance form. The Acord form is required per project and the certificate date is not to be greater than 60 days. OCIP is NOT provided on Informal Contracts.
- The Contractor MUST be Safety Prequalified with the LAUSD (if applicable), current at the time of bid submission and they MUST comply with the safety standards. Any additional safety prequalification related inquiries can be answered by contacting Facilities Construction Contracts (FCC) at (213) 241-2651, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or website: http://www.laschools.org/new-site/prequalification/.
- IN ADDITION TO ALL LAUSD PROJECTS, FOR ALL PROJECTS GREATER THAN $15,000:
- The District REQUIRES Contractors to pay prevailing wages, in accordance with law, for each craft or class employed when the project is for Maintenance or Repairs. This is applied to the contract price, which means that Subcontractors also pay prevailing wage, regardless of their portion of the contract amount. Any additional labor compliance related inquiries can be answered by contacting the Labor Compliance Program (LCP) at (213) 241-4665, email: email@example.com or website: http://www.laschools.org/new-site/labor-compliance/.
- The Contractor MUST submit a Performance Bond from an admitted surety, approved by the District. The bond MUST be submitted on the District required Bonds for Material and Labor and Faithful Performance form.
- LAUSD Small Business Enterprise (SBE) certified contractors will be provided a 10% bid preference when bidding. The contractor MUST submit their current LAUSD SBE certification, with their bid, for the 10% preference to be applied. Any additional small business enterprise related inquiries can be answered by contacting the Small Business Enterprise Program (SBEP) at (213) 241-1302, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or website: http://www.laschools.org/new-site/small-business/sbe-certification.
- The Contractor MUST register with the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR), as the District is legally required to report to the DIR all contracts subject to prevailing wage requirements, as required by Labor Code section 1773.3 and 8 Cal. Code Reg. sec. 16451(a). Any additional related inquires can be answered by going to the DIR website at https://www.dir.ca.gov/.
- The Project Stabilization Agreement ("PSA") applies to all construction and major rehabilitation work pursuant to all prime specialty contracts that exceed $20,000 that are funded, in whole or part, by monies from local bonds as set forth in Article 2 of the PSA. If the PSA applies to this Work, the Contractor and all Subcontractors of every tier are required to abide by its terms and agrees to be bound by the PSA. For information pertaining to the PSA, Contractor can refer to the following web address: http://www.laschools.org/new-site/project-stabilization/.
- LAUSD awards contracts based on Best Value Bid, not Low Value Bid. The informal best value procurement provides a contracting means for the District to quickly and cost-effectively execute minor construction and maintenance work with the goal of obtaining the most qualified and prequalified bidder (Best Value Procurement Informative). Any additional safety prequalification related inquiries can be answered by contacting Facilities Construction Contracts (FCC) at (213) 241-2651, email: email@example.com, or website: http://www.laschools.org/newsite/prequalification/.
- The Contractor MUST submit the Contractors Public Works Payroll Reporting Form and the Notice to Public Entity on the 10th day, after construction starts, and weekly thereafter to the Owner Authorized Representative (OAR).
- The Contractor MUST submit the Contractors Fringe Benefit Statement at contract closeout to the OAR, via U.S. mail. Any additional Labor Compliance related inquiries can be answered by contacting the District’s Labor Compliance Office at (213) 241-4665, firstname.lastname@example.org or at http://www.laschools.org/newsite/prequalification/.
- The Contractor MUST submit the invoice and Contractor Notice of Completion (CNOC), after District inspection, via U.S. mail.
Additional Information can be found on the LAUSD website for contractors at: http://www.laschools.org/new-site/contractor-resources/